horse paper

Randolph Graczyk Rgraczyk at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 14:53:00 UTC 2004

In a message dated 4/21/2004 2:42:14 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
jschudli at indiana.edu writes:

> always liked the way Crow handled such "new things" - I don't remember the
> actual Crow, since this comes from a class Randy taught 5 or 6 years ago,
> but
> the gist is that many new things, including horses, simply co-opted a name
> that already existed in Crow.
>
> So horses are "dogs" and actual canine type dogs are "real dogs". I'm sure
> there are other introduced items that follow the same pattern as well, but I
>
> can't dredge them up from memory at the moment.

Crow has both a 'dog' word and an 'elk' word for horse.  The non-possessed
form for horse is iichi'ili, which is the original word for elk, as illustrated
by compounds like iichi'il-ihta 'elk tooth'.  The possessed form is isaashka'
'his horse', the original possessed form for dog.  The possessed form for dog
today is isaashka-kaa'shi (kaa'shi is a suffix meaning 'real, genuine')

Randy