'Real' nouns and marking reversal

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 18:50:39 UTC 2004

Dear all:

There's a paper on marking reversals of exactly the sort we are
discussing, by Cecil H Brown and te late Stanley R Witkowski, in
Language in the mid-1980s.  And there's a paper on 'real, true and
genine' in Indian languages, somewhere, by the ineffable Albert Samuel
Gatschet from about 1880.

'Horse' in Tonkawa was, inter alia, something like  'ekWanesxaw (W is
superscript) 'horse for dragging'.  I'll have to check the phonemic
shape of this form, but it was something like that. 'ekWan means 'dog'.

Anthony