hankee

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Tue Apr 27 01:40:49 UTC 2004

Here's what I have from Lewis and Clark:

---
APPLE, WHITE  Indian breadroot, Pediomelum [formerly Psoralea]
esculentum, of the pea family. Lewis [4.125] describes the edible root
as of "a fine white substance, somewhat porus, spungy and moist, and
reather tough before it is dressed." The name is a literal translation
of the Canadian French pomme blanche. See POTATO.

the Indian woman [Sacagawea]..gathered a considerable quantity of the
white apples of which she eat so heartily in their raw state [19 Jun 05
ML 4.309]

the men dug great parcel of the root which the Nativs call Hankee and
the engagees the white apple [10 Aug 06 WC 8.288]
---

On 10 Aug. 1806, Clark was on the Missouri in western North Dakota near
the junction among the territories of the Crows, Hidatsas, and
Assiniboines. Can anyone identify the language and the meaning of
"hankee" for me?

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. And because I cross-referenced it and because we've discussed both
these species before:

---
POTATO  The edible tuber of the Indian potato or ground-nut, Apios
americana. The plant is a perennial vine of the pea family. For another
root-plant of the pea family, see (WHITE) APPLE.

The common wild pittatoe…form another article of food in savage life[.]
this they boil untill the skin leaves the pulp easily..the pettatoe…is
exposed on a scaffold to the sun or a slow fire untill it is thoroughly
dryed [winter 03-04  ML  2.223]

I saw Homney [hominy] of ground Potatos [26 Sep 04 WC 3.117]

Also, abbreviated in the plural as potas., = WAPATO.

Janey[—]in favour of a place where there is plenty of Potas. [24 Nov 05
WC 6.084]
---