MVS 'eight'

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 27 16:04:19 UTC 2004

I have some serious misgivings with the idea that M-I 'eight' is borrowed
from Iowa-Otoe and not Tutelo. My objections fall into two categories,
linguistic and geographic.

In terms of the linguistics, I think it's risky and unnecessary to link the
Miami-Illinois forms to a hypothetical, unattested, archaic Iowa-Otoe form,
*/hpaRaaniN/~*/hpeRaaniN/, especially when the only *attested* I-O form is
so different (/greeraa'briN/).

Moreover, hypothetical Old Iowa-Otoe */hpaRaaniN/~*/hpeRaaniN/ is actually
NOT as good a match for the Miami-Illinois forms; the relevant M-I forms for
'eight' are /paraare/ and /palaani/. These perfectly reflect the two
attested Tutelo variants <palali> and <palani>. With Tutelo we have a
language that actually ATTESTS both the variants found in Miami-Illinois.
Thus, we get the Miami-Illinois r/n variation for free by saying it's a
Tutelo loan. I don't think a loan from I-O */hpaRaaniN/~*/hpeRaaniN/ would
do that. By assuming the M-I forms are borrowed from Tutelo, we don't have
to hypothesize anything at all. We have to hypothesize quite a lot if we say
M-I borrowed the word from Iowa-Otoe.

My geographic objection is more hypothetical, but the gist of it is that
when you start to trace where the M-I speakers were in the earliest
historical times, or where they would have been pre-1492, the evidence
strongly hints that they were a good deal further EAST than they were at
first contact. From all evidence, the Illinois were very recent arrivals
into what is now Illinois, possibly not entering that area at all until the
Iroquois Wars. When you go further back in time, it starts looking like the
M-I speakers were in Indiana before they were in Illinois, and in Ohio
before they were in Indiana. That puts them in a place where it's more
likely they would have interacted with Tutelo speakers than with I-O
speakers, and WAY more likely than them interacting with Michigamea
speakers. The M-I speakers' presence in the Michigamea area was probably
very recent.

Of course, this whole argument could be settled if other clear Tutelo loans
into Miami-Illinois could be found, other than just 'eight'. After a fair
deal of looking, I've never been able to find any. It seems to be the only
word the M-I's borrowed from Tutelo, unless you say that the oddly deformed
M-I word for 'six', /kaakaathswi/, is perhaps *influenced* by Tutelo
/aka'aspee/. But I'm not really committed to that idea.

David