Sarpy

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 5 23:55:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> Anybody know what the origins of Abadie or Labbadie are?

Answering myself with the help of
http://www.buber.net/Basque/Surname/L/labadie.html:

==== Start of quotation

LABADIE Although is a basque surname, that means "The Abbey", the word has
a lathin origin, in spanish Abbey is ABADIA, and in French ABBAYE, but in
basque priest is ABADEA, so this word was incorporated to the basque
language long time ago. The variations of this surname are: ABADIE in
Zuberoa, ABADIA: in Nabarra and the North part of the Province of Huesca
(this part was basque in the past), LABADIA in Navarra and Huesca, and
LABADIE in BeheNavarre (French Basque Country), but also in Navarre and
Huesca, there are also families with this surname in Gascogne.

This surname is more usual in the French Basque Country than in the
Southern, so I suposse that your family comes from the Province of
Behenafarroa or Basse Navarre.

In any case is not very normal to find Abbeys in our country, and I have
told you that Abadea or also Abadie is priest, so the meaning can be also
"The house of the priest".

Some authors think that the form Labadie is a gasconized form, because of
the initial L, that is the article, and in basque the article is the final
A or E of the words, Ex: Etxe is house, Etxea is The house. so the L shows
that the surname was probably in the origin L'Abadie.

==== End of quotation