Sarpy

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Apr 6 13:17:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Koontz John E wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> > > It occurs to me to wonder how Abadie [abadi'] or [abadsi'] might manifest
> > > with d as c^c^ as in Bac^c^i, while Baptiste/Battiste with (t)t has that
> > > come out as d in Badi'ze.
> >
> > John, I can't quite understand the statement or question, but it didn't
> > occur to me that Abadie/Labbadie was part of the mix. That name could
> > certainly be the source of something like Bac^c^i. Abadie would be
> > [abadzi].
>
> I phrased this badly.  I meant, it seems odd that Abadie, a word with
> voiced d (or dz) in French, would come out Bac^c^i', with a voiceless
> geminate c^c^ [tts^], while Baptiste, a word with a voiceless, possibly
> geminate t (or ts) in French, would come out Badi'ze, with a voiced d.
> Note that the earlier voiced b in both cases comes out b.  You'd expect
> Baj^i and Batti'ze.  At least those seem more regular.

I assume that here, John, you are talking about things that happen in
Siouan languages when they process European language terms, i.e.,
devoicing a voiced French sound and voicing a sound that is not
voiced in French. Also, the t is not geminate in French "Baptiste".
(Also, also, I don't know if this is of any value--and unfortunately I don't
know the distribution of this fonological fenomenon--some Canadian French
speakers pronounce the /a/ of "Baptiste" as a back a (somewhat like the a
in English "father".)

Michael