Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Apr 11 00:10:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:
> Oh, ez a kérdés!

Sorry - my Hungarian is weak.  It is Hungarian, right?

> But I don't think so, as Buechel doesn't give these inflections and,
> moreover, indicates the verb as 'vn' (neutral verb)  this being his term
> for 'stative verb'. Under the English entry 'stick', _yahan_ is given as
> "TO BE stuck with as with a splinter"(capitalization by me).

>  >I suppose ya is the mouth instrumental - likening sticking to biting.
>   Another possibility would be i 'locative of instrument' + ahaN.  I
> don't have enough data to tell yet.  In any event, y here doesn't seem
> to be epenthetic.<<
>
> The former was my first thought too; the latter also seems pretty
> plausible, yet, the remaining part (-ahan) as such doesn't seem to
> incorporate the idea of 'prick/stick/bite', does it? (Maybe: to stand/be
> located on top of smth acute/spiky/'peakish', e.g. like a cactus, and
> being pricked BY it???) This interpretation might be grounded in
> Buechel's example (wicasa wanzila unkcela wan ...) where the stative
> verb obviously has TWO arguments! Shouldn't there be smth creating this
> 2nd slot, i.e. an instrumental affix _i-_?

Well, Ingham lists ic^a'ma 'to prick' taku' is^ta' ima'kama 'something
pricked me in the eye', which has the 2 object i-locative format,
complicated in the example by possessor raising.

Otherwise what I find for 'stab' is c^ha=...phA, comparable to OP
z^a=...he or IO ya=...we, which is transitive.