[Lexicog] new nosey word

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Sun Apr 11 18:44:19 UTC 2004

 >Yes, it is true. Some of our consonants are so called
"syllable-forming", r, l, m; practically their ability to stand in
for a wovel is related to the possibility to hold a length (like
rrrrrrr and llll, while in other consonants this is not possible
(b, p, k, t etc.) These then cannot be syllable forming.
I had an interesting conversation a while ago with a Czech man in
New mexico who brought to my attention close linguistic ties
between the Basque language and Czech. Amazing.
Hope you are well,
Jiri<<

 > In Czech, my native language, probably the longest word without vowels is
?scvrnkls?. It means something like ?you pushed it away with you
finger?. I think most of the Czech vowel-less words usually have about
three to five consonants, but quite frequently they can be combined into
sentences,
similar to the famous Czech tongue twister:

Strc prst skrz krk. (Stick your finger through your throat.)

In such Czech words it is indeed ?r? and ?l? that are
phonetically
vowel-like.
Jan Ullrich <<

Yes, the "Strc (stick) prst (finger) skrz (through) krk (throat)!"
sentence is a really famous one - and (although I'm not very familiar
with Czech) I'm proud to be able to pronounce this sentence since my
childhood ;-)
Here (and in other samples), the R actually seems to have vowel quality
(sometimes also  L can have, e.g. in Bavarian or, say, Viennese dialect).

Just one consideration:
In Serbo-Croatian (that I do not speak) there's a word 'trg' (about:
market) and in Romanian (that I'm familiar with) there's a word with the
same meaning, spelled 'tîrg' or (now again) 'târg' (e.g. the toponym
Târgu-Mures/Maros Vásárhely) which is pronounced with a 'darkened' vowel
and - as I feel - quite similar to the 'vowelless' slavic version! So,
is it only depending from what angle one is looking at it to decide
whether the R is bearing the vowel or not???

Alfred