OP /the/ vs. /dhaN/ (Re: Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 12 18:06:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> Yes.  My impression has been that /the/ was used for an
> instant of time, while /dhaN/ referred to a period.  I never
> found enough examples to be quite sure about this though.

I guess one could check the texts for awathe and awadhaN and try to
analize the context.  /The/ is clearly the favored particle for the
temporal 'when clause' conjunction, though I have seen /dhaN/ and even
/khe/ in that capacity.

The characterization of /the/ as representing situations contrary to
entropy is interesting.  I'll keep it in mind!