Vice President Curtis's chair again.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Aug 1 17:53:22 UTC 2004

I'll get it xeroxed and out in the next day or two.  I think what happened is
that Justin just forwarded Crystal the email exchanges (or maybe I had sent him
a copy of the Siouan Conf. paper from Michigan), and she just sort of summarized
things.

You might want to pick up an introductory text book on acoustic phonetics to
refer to when you use Praat and other software.  I know that accented vowels are
inherently longer than unaccented ones; vowels in open syllables are inherently
longer than the same vowels in closed syllables; lower vowels are inherently
longer than high vowels, but I don't know the details.  There may also be
inherent differences between nasal vowels and the corresponding oral ones (with
the nasal V's longer).  And if you have long and short vowels, they'll measure
out differently in the different environments, i.e., a short, accented vowel may
actually be longer in milliseconds than an unaccented long vowel in a closed
syllable, etc.  You have to figure out the various contexts and then measure all
the contrasting vowels, both long and short, in that context.  I expect you knew
all of this, but there are lots of details to consider, and I haven't really
begun to look at most of them.

Cheers,

Bob