Vice President Curtis's chair again.

Justin McBride jmcbride at kayserv.net
Mon Aug 2 17:38:26 UTC 2004

From: "R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu>

> I'll get it xeroxed and out in the next day or two.  I think what happened
is
> that Justin just forwarded Crystal the email exchanges (or maybe I had
sent him
> a copy of the Siouan Conf. paper from Michigan), and she just sort of
summarized
> things.

Actually, Crystal received some sort of press release or similar document
from an agency in Washington from which she distilled the information found
in her article.  (Was it from the agency that first desired research on
this?)  I think it would have been fun, though, if she could have seen prior
to writing up the piece how much SiouanList activity centered around the
identification/translation of the etching on the chair.  I guess I wasn't on
the ball enough, or I'd have forwarded her all that stuff to her.  Oh well,
I suppose I can do that the NEXT time someone finds an obscure Dhegiha text
on some big muckety-muck's furniture...   :)

By the way, the annual Kaw Pow Wow will be held here in Kaw City, OK, this
weekend (Aug. 6-8).  If you're free then, Dr. Rankin, it would sure be great
to see you.  And, of course, this invitation also goes out to any other
interested parties on the list.  I'd have mentioned the event sooner on the
list, but I've been so busy that the whole thing just sorta sneaked up on
me!  Anyhow, everyone should come down and see some good ol' fashioned
hospitality--and some good dancing, too!

-Justin