prat(t)

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Fri Aug 6 20:22:02 UTC 2004

>> obviously cognate with l. suffragium n. 'Abstimmung, Beifall'
(vote, applause/acclamation) i.e. 'zustimmender Lärm'
(assenting/approving clamour).<<<<

 > Not at all obvious to me.  Germanic /p/ should correspond to Latin
/b/, not /f/ (slippery, lubricus), and where's the Latin equivalent of
the /t/??  I know my Indo-European is rusty, but this doesn't seem at
all right.<<

I tend to agree with your questioning this, yet this is what Kluge
(Etymologisches Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache, de Gruyter, Berlin
1995) - as kind of an obiter dictum - literally gives:

"(...) Offenbar urverwandtes l. suffragium n. 'Abstimmung, Beifall'
zeigt, dass von 'zustimmender Lärm, Akklamation' auszugehen ist. (...)"

Alfred