prat(t) (but not Siouan)

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Sat Aug 7 04:19:23 UTC 2004

Now I'm embarrassed, except for the fact that none of the rest of you
caught this before I did.  All the forms (of German Pracht, praechtig) in
the list that Alfred sent except the modern German one begin with /b/, not
/p/; the /p/ must be the result of some kind of dialect borrowing or other
irregularity in the history of German; it's not the second sound shift
(Hochdeutsche Lautverschiebung), unless I really have forgotten everything
I once knew about the histories of these languages.  So English prat and
German Pracht can't be directly cognate -- English should have /b/ or
German should have /pf/.  And the correct correspondence is then Latin /f/
to Germanic /b/, as in brother/Bruder to frater.  So I guess the Kluge
entry does make sense after all, and maybe Anthony's analogy with the
semantic evolution is accurate, but the two words are not phonological
cognates.
	Maybe we should drop Indo-European again now and get back to
Siouan; I'm sorry for the distraction.  Did you all read Willem de Reuse's
very thoughtful review of the new edition of Buechel in the most recent
(April) IJAL?  He says we're working on a Lakota dictionary here, but
that's only in our dreams.  There's a major project waiting for someone.

David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado