Curtis chair press release.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Aug 17 21:53:27 UTC 2004

      April 26th, 2004

      BILLINGS RESIDENT LOANS IMPORTANT ARTIFACT TO CAPITOL

      WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) announced the loan of
a chair belonging to Vice President Charles Curtis for display purposes in the
Vice President’s ceremonial office in the United States Capitol. The chair is on
indefinite renewable loan to the Senate from Lowell E. Baier of Billings, MT.

      “I am pleased to see that this chair is being recognized as the valuable
artifact it is,” said Burns. “The chair represents our strong history as a
country and as a government, and I am glad Lowell has agreed to allow it to be
used in this context where many people will be able to witness it beauty and
grandeur.”

      The hand carved walnut chair is inscribed in both English and Native
American languages and was presented to Vice President Charles Curtis by the
‘Original Curtis Boys and Matthew Quay Glaser,’ around 1929. The elaborately
carved backrest is inscribed with “To Our Chief / Charles Curtis / Vice
President of the United States.” Centered on the backrest is a medallion profile
of a Native American Indian and a Kaw inscription that translates to read
“Friend, Go on in the Best of Health, This Is Our Wish.”

      Charles Curtis (1860-1936), was directly descended from White Plume, a Kaw
chief, and Pawhuska, an Osage chief. Curtis served as 31st vice president of the
United States under President Herbert Hoover. He served in the U.S. House of
Representatives from 1893 to 1907, and in the U.S. Senate from 1907 to 1913 and
1915 to 1929. One of Curtis’ proudest achievements in the Senate was his effort
to pass the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote.

      ###