prat(t) (but not Siouan)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Aug 18 15:30:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
> Along these lines, my father used to insist that the correct spelling
> for the expression "under way", as in "let's get this project under
> way", was really "under weigh", as in weighing anchor.  Does anyone know
> anything more about that?  I've been laughed at more than once for
> perpetuating his idea.

Alan?"  It doesn't seem implausible, but I don't know myself.  I suppose
it depends on whether "weighing anchor" refers to the effort of lifting
it, or uses an odd spelling to refer to getting the anchor in position to
"get under way."  "Way" in the sense of direction of travel, path of
movement, or simply movement is pretty common in nautical contexts, e.g.,
I think the command to commence rowing, or maybe it's just row harder, is
"give way."  And I think expressions like "in the way" in the sense of
"available, present" (and now days, "positioned to impede progress") refer
to being in the best route through a shallow area like a harbor.  I think
that's also the source of "fairway."  This could easily get out of hand,
so I'll leave my examples there!