Ofo

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Wed Dec 1 15:05:08 UTC 2004

Quoting "R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu>:

> I just yesterday received a copy of the brand new Southeast volume on the
> Handbook of North American Indians from the Smithsonian.
> There's also a previously unpublished photo of Rosa Pierrite (which they are
> now spelling to match the Cajun pronunciation), the last known speaker of Ofo,
> which was nice to see.  (The photo of her in the old Swanton survey made her
look like Aunt Jemimah (spelling?) about to whup up a mess o' pancakes).  This
one is much clearer and less stereotyped.

> Bob

Hi Bob:  Thank you for mentioning the wonderful new Southeast volume, with the
previously unpublished photo of Rosa Pierrite.  When you tought us in Kansas, I
remember you giving us a xerox of the "Aunt Jemimah" picture, but I had
forgotten where that was from (I can no longer find it in my papers).  So I am
glad a better picture was published, because the Swanton one was the only one I
knew.

I have, of course, a very special fondness for Rosa Pierrite, since I whupped
up "Grassmann's Law in Ofo", my first ever publication, ultimately thanks to
her.

Do you have your Ofo vocabulary with corrected spellings in sharable form?  I
would love to have a copy of that.

Willem