lack of rhymes

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 1 17:04:28 UTC 2004

We did have a discussion a while back of proverbs, and I think we
concluded that though they are not especially prominent - e.g., not used
as devices in stories - and might be different in various ways, they did
occur.  I think Jimm Good Tracks was able to supply a number of convincing
examples for Ioway-Otoe-Missouria.

Somewhat in a verse line I remember Lowie's examples of Crow (and
Hidatsa?) "charms" or "verses" for putting oneself to sleep.  I don't
rmember what Lowie called them, or in specific how any of them went.  (I
must have fallen asleep.)

I wonder if one way to prompt for things like this would be to ask people
to finish a sentence like "My grandmother (etc.) always says (used to say,
said) ..."