lack of rhymes

Randolph Graczyk Rgraczyk at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 17:52:44 UTC 2004

In Crow and, from what I know, in other Siouan languages, we tend to see
recurrent patterns--though not rhyme--at the beginning of sentences, with the
repetion of sentence connectives like Crow dee'laa 'and then', etc.  It is also
common in Crow discourse to repeat the final verb of a sentence or stretch of
discourse as the first verb of the next section:
'......he went'.  'He went and.....'

I agree with John that the morphological and syntactic structure of Siouan
languages makes rhyming virtually impossible.

Randy