Biloxi/Ofo

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Wed Dec 1 18:55:08 UTC 2004

I was not suggesting I thought "okay" was from the Choctaw suffix, just
that you will find that in dictionaries.

If the OED has "okii", they are probably quoting someone else who works
on Choctaw, and that is a possibly phonemicization, though not the one I
would go for, because of the phonetic problems I mentioned. It is
certainly NOT Choctaw /o:ke:/, because there is no phonemic /e:/ in
Choctaw -- it's simply a matter of deciding what the best
phonemicization is here. Leaving off the h is fine (the h is certainly a
separate morpheme, but people (Chickasaws and Choctaws) include the h
when they refer to this form, so that's how I think of it (I regard it
as a feature of typical Choctaw men's speech, though women use it also).
I would definitely say the o is long myself (I think it is a form of
'be', probably), but maybe that's debatable. As to whether it's a
suffix, that sort of depends on what level of analysis you're referring
to. I think of it that way most of the time, but I could see arguments
for not doing so, so once again, I wouldn't fight what the OED has now.
These are all probably too small problems for anyone to worry about who
is not interested in specifically Western Muskogean problems, and I'm
sorry I bothered you all, but I did want to comment on the point about
Haas and Choctaw [e]. I don't know to what degree the OED really cares
about these debates.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,