PDF embedded fonts.

Corey Telfer cstelfer at ucalgary.ca
Thu Dec 2 02:55:11 UTC 2004

Hi Bob,

   The Ablaut paper looks good.  I haven't gone through it entirely yet, but
the small errors I remember from the first copy seem to be cleaned up.

   My Romanian paper is basically the seed of my master's thesis.  In
looking at Romanian 'palatalization' (the addition of an off-glide [j] to
form plurals and second person singular verbs) I found both palatalization
and assibilation effects.  This is not really surprising, considering both
processes tend to be caused by high front vocoids.  In my paper, I take the
radical position that the coronalization of Romanian velars is due to
assibilation.

   It seems likely that the assibilation of coronals is the result of
audiorily-based substitution.  The narrowing of the oral cavity in the
production of high front vowels seems to cause extra frication in stop
releases.  This frication is then reanalyzed as stridency, and thus the
feature [+strident] is inserted into the feature matrix.  I argued that the
same process could happen in velars, except that adding stridency to a velar
should result in [ks], which is an extremely rare segment (only existing in
Blackfoot as far as I know).  Thus the grammar might choose to alter the
velar to a coronal in order to preserve the stridency.  This explains why
coronalization can result in either [ts] or c^ - both are equally strident,
so either one is an expected outcome of this process.

    Romanian is interesting because it contains both [ts] and c^ in its
inventory, but coronalization results only in c^.  I argue that this is due
to the fact that articulatory palatalization also plays a role in the
language (eg. sj --> s^).  Since palatalization is active, c^ is picked over
[ts] in this case.  So this is the basic idea behind my thesis, which will
probably be titled something like "The interaction of assibilation and
palatalization".  I realize that this analysis might not be very appealing,
and that many people may want to stick with the well-accepted model of
articulatory assimilation.  Of you have any comments or questions, I'd love
to hear them.

Corey.

PS.  As I'm sure you know, American policy and Americans in general are not
too popular up here in Canada right now, but whenever I hear someone make an
anti-American comment I tell them about the great Americans I met this
summer in Nebraska.  I can't thank you enough for making me feel welcome.  I
remain impressed by American hospitality and look forward to visiting (or
even studying there) in the future.