Caddoan 'corn'

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Dec 2 19:43:15 UTC 2004

I certainly would never presume to have any command of Caddoan historical phonology, but whether or not the final syllable is reconstructible from the set, I'm quite convinced of a Caddoan source, either direct or indirect, for the Biloxi and Ofo words for 'corn'.

> As for 'corn', I tend to be a little skeptical of "boxcar reconstructions".
In any case, I'm pretty sure the last syllable of Caddo kisi? isn't cognate
with the endings of the Pawnee, Arikara, and Wichita words. Those endings
correspond quite regularly to a Caddo noun suffix -?uh, not to -i?.