Saint Louis

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Dec 10 21:32:35 UTC 2004

Michael wrote:
> Does anyone have any records of Native names for the French town of St.
> Louis on the Mississippi?

We had a discussion on this around the beginning of this year.
I think the only Siouan ones we could come up with were the
OP forms noted below.

>>From the Dorsey dictionary, not specified whether Omaha or Ponka,
we have:

    Ppa'hi-z^ii'de              "Red Neck"

And from Fletcher and La Flesche, p. 101, for the Omaha, we have:

    Ppahi'(N) z^iide ttaNwaN    "Red Hair Town"
                                "(Referring to the color
                                  of Governor Clark's hair.)"

I believe it was my request for the very information that
Michael is asking for that started the Short Bread Thread.

Rory