Caddoan Corn (Re: Fw: OK and more Ofo/Biloxi)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Dec 15 17:09:16 UTC 2004

> And Adai <ocasuck>, however that was pronounced (? /okesak/)

It's hard for me to judge exactly which Caddoan forms are cognates within that
family.  I only included those that pretty clearly shared the *Re:k or *Re:ki
portion of the word that turns up in Biloxi and Ofo.  There were probably quite
a few Caddoan dialects spoken in Louisiana and thereabouts around the time of
DeSoto.  Nor do I know whether 'corn' is actually cognate in Caddoan or whether
the term represents borrowings.  It's certainly far from cognate in Siouan,
where there are 3 or 4 different sources for the word in different subgroups (or
crosscutting subgroups).