OK again

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 2 02:54:09 UTC 2004

I guess there's no linguistic reason why Caddo ukkih and Choctaw ho:keh
might not be the result of borrowing in one direction or the other. Caddo
has only three vowels, so a correspondence of Caddo i and u with Choctaw o
and e would be expected. There's nothing unusual about ukkih from the point
of view of Caddo phonology. Geminate consonants are very common, whatever
that means.

I agree with Bob about the Oll Korrect explanation, which probably ought to
be put to rest for good, unless somebody finds some really convincing
documentation of its use.

As for 'corn', I tend to be a little skeptical of "boxcar reconstructions".
In any case, I'm pretty sure the last syllable of Caddo kisi? isn't cognate
with the endings of the Pawnee, Arikara, and Wichita words. Those endings
correspond quite regularly to a Caddo noun suffix -?uh, not to -i?.

Wally