Sitting Bull (RE: lack of rhymes) (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Dec 9 06:48:36 UTC 2004

I see I misdirected this.  Jan's mail has one of those header arrangements
that overrides the default response of "reply to list."  I tend not to
notice that my assumptions are wrong.  That tendency may not be limited to
email.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Jan Ullrich wrote:
> I am not sure where the Tatanka Iyotanka form - common in popular
> literature - originates from. I have reasons to believe that the correct
> form is ThathaN'ka I'yotake, pronounced ThathaN'kiyotake in fast speech.

Whether it's widespread in the popular literature or simply a nonce form,
ThathaN'ka I'yotaNke might arise from European sensibilities - something
that almost rhymes being adjusted by the memory so that it does.  I use
European here in its cultural sense, not its geographical one.  That is
Anglo-American sensibilities are perhaps responsible.  [And it may have
been me who produced this form, making it my Anglo-American sensibilities
specifically.]