anuNg - nupa

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 20:03:18 UTC 2004

>I always imagined that _anung(k)_ [anuN'g] was composed of a-nuN-k
>where the center part derived from _nupa_ [nuN'pa] -> nub -> num [nuN],
>the initial part is _a-_ (on, upon) and the _-g/k_ ending might be the
>remaining rest of some truncation process. Hence, 'on/from both sides' (?)

>Only recently, I was pondering on _anunkhasan_ [anuN'kh^asaN]
>'Wei�kopfadler' where _anunk_ and _san_ seem pretty obvious, whereas the
>middle part _ha_ [h^a] - to me - is not. Any hints?

I'm not exactly sure if the k in the Lakota word for 'bald eagle' is aspirated -- off the top of my head, I don't remember an aspiration here, but I could be wrong. My Lakota speaker, on at least two occasions, etymologized anuNk[h?]asaN 'bald eagle' as 'white on both ends/sides', which is semantically very appropriate, of course.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard the form anuNk[h?]a-taN 'from both sides' sometime. -taN means 'from', and my guess is that anuNk[h?]a- is the full form of the lexical root that appears in truncated form in the name for Deloria's mythical character AnuNk-Ite 'Double FAce' and in other compounds. Thus: no need to analyze -[h?]a, at least for now, unless someone else comes up with compelling reasons for treating -[?]a as an independent element.

Regina