anunk - nupa

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Feb 2 21:23:48 UTC 2004

 >I'm not exactly sure if the k in the Lakota word for 'bald eagle' is
aspirated -- off the top of my head, I don't remember an aspiration
here, but I could be wrong. [...]<<

I didn't regard it as an aspiration here either, but thought of
[anuN'k-h^a-saN], raising the problem of what is meant by [h^a'].
The (common?) translation by "white on both ends/sides" doesn't seem to
be too convincing given that the bird's head and neck being white on top
and all around (and not only "on both sides/ends"). Can it be that _ha_
[h^a'] is some - maybe abbreviated - form I'm too awkward to retrieve in
dictionaries?

Alfred