Quapaw designation (fwd)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Feb 3 15:38:12 UTC 2004

I strongly suspect a mis-copying, at some point, of Akansa, Acansa, Acansea,
etc., etc., in its many incarnations.  Almost NO Native American languages had
the consonant [v], and, as far as I know, none east of the Plains.  (I think
maybe some modern Mohawk and Creek dialect(s) may have it as an allophone.)  I
think someone just picked up the Dhegihan term /hkaaNze/, like the Illinois did,
and Margry or his source made a mistake with it.  The initial A- in the
Algonquian borrowings of it is a reflex of Algonquian short */o/ that becomes
/a/ in Illinois.  It's used with a number of ethnonyms including the O- of
Ojibwe.

Bob