SSILA Newsletter song text

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Wed Feb 4 20:22:53 UTC 2004

Sorry I was being so lazy this morning when I wrote about the request for
help with the song text.  Here is the relevant paragraph from the SSILA
Bulletin #205; I would be interested in knowing what you all think.

David

>>From Michelle Clemens (mclemens at carroll1.cc.edu) 29 Jan 2004:

I have been put in charge of finding out the correct pronunciation of
the text of a song that our college choir will be performing.  It is
one of the movements in "Song of the Skyloom," by Bernard van Beurden.
We will be performing the world premiere of this piece.

In the orchestral score, the composer indicates that the song text in
each movement comes from a different Indian language.  One movement is
based on a Lakota story, another is identified as Creek.  The song that
I am interested in, however, is identified only as "Wunk-Hi Wawan."
The words are as follows:

 Hizhan, hodochuch ka, zhe ske shununa.  Hizhan wa ya kitt'ehka.  Zhe
 skeshunana; Hizhan wa ya zhi zhi ka zhe ske shunanaya.  Hicha kolo
 hinuk lo innagle wi dokanna na.  Hizhan do maiku ka zhe ske shununa.

Can anyone identify this language?  I would really appreciate some help
on this.

                                                     --Michelle Clemens
                                             Carroll College, Wisconsin
                                             (mclemens at carroll1.cc.edu)