OP stative verb ablaut?

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Feb 7 01:18:26 UTC 2004

In modern Omaha, the old =i particle after verbs seems to
be dropped in verbs of declaration.  This =i normally acted
as a pluralizer, but it was also applied in the third-person
singular in what John describes as "proximate" usage.  Since
the =i itself is generally dropped by our speakers, its
former presence can be inferred only for verbs ending in -e,
which ablaut to -a when the =i should be present.

I've understood that rule for a long time with respect to
active verbs, but I've been fuzzy about the situation with
stative verbs.  Today Mark and I worked with our speakers
on stative verbs for a while, and it seems to have emerged
that stative verbs work the same way, except that the 3rd
person singular does not ablaut.  Stative verbs use oN- for
"me", dhi- for "you", (a)wa- for "us", and wa- for "them".
So the basic conjugation pattern for a typical stative verb
ending in -e seems to work as follows:

bi'ze   'dry'

  oNbi'ze  'I am dry'

  dhibi'ze  'thou art dry'    dhibi'za  'you all are dry'

  wabi'ze  'we two are dry'   wabi'za  'we all are dry'

  bi'ze  's/he is dry'        wabi'za  'they are dry'

Does this square with what other OP students have found?

Thanks!
Rory