Winnebago Song (Re: SSILA Bulletin #205) (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Feb 7 07:11:25 UTC 2004

I've made a little progress, though it's anyone's guess if I'm getting
somewhere or going astray.  Things are taking an interesting turn if the
former.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> The repeated -ka element is a bit puzzling, but could be a first person
> causative following -k:  -k + ha > -ka.  The imperative inflects A1 =ha,
> A2 =ra, A3 =hi.

Note that the h of the causative is not epenthetic, unlike a lot of word
initial morpheme initial h.  It is really there, and so it has a different
set of morphophonemics.  The h of hi is the h that makes Dakota khiyA and
OP khidhe aspirated.  The k is probably a dative marker.  As Comrie has
reported transitive causatives tends to involve a dative of the embedded
subject.  So the dative of hi is gigi < *ki + k + hi (true aspirates
becoming voiced stops in Winnebago-Chiwere).

> > Hizhan, hodochuch ka, zhe ske shununa.
>   hiz^aN                z^eeske=s^uNnuN=   naN
>   one                   thus    habitually DECL
>
> Here -ka is a problem after -c^.  Presumably chuch is c^uc^, but -xux is
> 'break something brittle'.

A possiblity might be horughuc^ 'to look at', if both gh (gamma) and c^
are rendered ch!

> > Hizhan wa ya kitt'ehka[,]       Zhe skeshunana;
>   hiz^aN       git?ek     (h)a    z^eeske=s^uNnuN=   naN
>   one          be bruised-I CAUSE thus    habitually DECL
>
> > Hizhan wa ya zhi zhi ka[,] zhe ske shun[u]na       ya.
>   hiz^aN       z^iz^ik (h)a  z^eeske=s^uNnuN=   naN
>   one                        thus    habitually DECL (vocable?)
>
> There is a verb booz^iz^ik 'to wiggle' in Marino. in which boo- is the
> outer instrumental 'by shooting', here essentially 'spontaneously'.  The
> hi-locative paradigm (with regular verbs) is A1 yaa-, A2 hira-, A3 hi-.
> This might be relevant here and above in terms of -ya-, but wa-(h)i-(h)a-
> Obj3p-LOC-A1 is wi(i)a-, not waya-
>
> > Hicha kolo hinuk  lo innag le    wi dokan nana.
    hic^akoro  hinuNk ro iNnaNk(i)re wi dookaNnaN=naN
    friend     woman  they follow me ?? I court (them?)

HironaNk 'to follow', A1 hiroanaNk, so that I think hiroiNnaNk must be
A12 or P1.

RukaNnaN' 'to court, to woo', A1 duukaN'naN, plus declarative =naN
(postvocalic form).