Iskousogos

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 10 16:32:54 UTC 2004

In the Relation de l'Abbe de Gallinee from 1669, and in the
1876 version of Margry (Decouvertes et etablissements des Francais), where
the Ohio River is discussed on page 116), as well as in Hanna (1911,
Wilderness Trail, Vol. 1, p. 121, we find that down the Ohio from Iroquoia
ones encounters, first, the Andaste, then Shawnee, then a great rapids
(Falls of Ohio at Louisville), then Outagamie, then "land of the
Iskousogos," and finally the "land of the wild cattle" (presumably the
Illinois prairies from modern Wabash westward).

I was wondering if there's any chance "Iskousogos" is a Siouan vocable.

Thank you,

Michael