Iskousogos

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 11 17:00:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> I was wondering if Marquette's 8AB8SKIG8 has any Siouan features. I tend
> to see it as an Algonquian term because of 8AB- 'white', but I notice
> there's a person on the Siouan listserv who calls himself  Wablenica,
> which, I presume, is Siouan, nicht wahr?

Well, wabouskigou looks pretty Algonquian to me, too.

/waposke/ (OP wamuske) is a pretty widespread form for 'bread'.  I think
it is attested outside of Dhegiha and even outside of Siouan.  A final -ku
can occur in kinterm possessive paradigms in Dakotan, and there are
various sources in compounds, e.g., ku 'to come back', but I don't think
that's available here.

Wablenica is wa-ble-nic^a [SOMETHING-...]-lacking or 'orphan', a
stative-inflected form.  I presume it could be called a verb, certainly on
morphological grounds.  I don't know what the root sense of ble is.
There is a stative verb blec^a 'poor'.

The comparable Omaha-Ponca form for 'orphan' is wahaNdhiNge, analogous in
form.  I'd assume haN was from (i)haN '(his/her) mother', though I think I
remember someone having a different insight into it.