Active & stative verbs in biclausal sentences.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sat Feb 14 15:58:49 UTC 2004

In a paper on "Time and tense (not!) in Quapaw" I did at the Typology Centre
"down under", I used 'having' as the translation, since egaN seems to be the
cognate of Dakotan k?uN (as we've said before) and contains the frozen auxiliary
'do, done'.  So {VERB-x} egaN, {VERB-y} is 'X done, Y happens/happened'.  I've
been assuming that it sequences events/states temporally, egaN signalling
anteriority.  I guess this doesn't really add much to the discussion though.

Bob