Iskousogos

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Feb 15 15:14:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> ouabouskigou.  I thought that 8 was interchangeable with ou?  I thought
> that the only issue was knowing when it represented w and when u(:)?

I might add that there's one odd-ball use of 8. The letter was used by the
Jesuits to write the name "Jesus". You see: <Jes8s>. This is completely
out in left field, since the u represented here in French Jesus is the
high front *rounded* vowel, written a couple of different ways by
linguists, but perhaps most recognizably by u-umlaut.

Michael