2 x o...phA

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 16 06:55:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Wablenica wrote:
> KJE> What's the page number on this?  I see that Buechel lists just o'pha
> KJE> (ouNpha=pi) 'go with, follow; be present at, take part in'.  He puts a
> KJE> macron over this o, but doesn't write oo as in previous entries (which I
> KJE> assume have rearticulation).
>
> (Boas & Deloria "Dakota Grammar")
> Page 79.
> 80. Stems with two initial vowels.
> Locative prefixes are often contracted, either among themselves or
> with other elements. In these cases the accent is on the first
> syllable and the verbs are treated like those with uncontracted
> prefixes.
>
> i'phi to be satisfied with food, i'uNphi;

I'd almost wonder if the i'- examples didn't have i= 'mouth', but that
doesn't explain the o'- examples.  However, it isn't clear what element is
being contracted with o- (or i-) here.  I think the contraction argument
is being offered by analogy with out cases of initial accent.

> o'pha he joins, takes part in, o'uNpha(1)
> ---------
> 1 But opha' to go by way of, uNko'pha.
>
> Page 32.
> The following also behave irregularly [as regards ablaut - C.C.]
>
> Variable: yu'ta to eat; opha' to go by way of
> Invariable: ayu'ta to look at; o'pha to take part in, to join a group

OP z^u'=he 'ford'
OP uhe'=athaN 'steps, bridge' (follow + tread on)
OP uhe' 'follow (a creek, a shoreline, outline of camp)'
OP (e=d(i))=ui'ha 'follow (group of people)',
                 'join (a group of people, a race)'
   -i- < -gi- DATIVE
OP ugi'he 'follow one's own's trail'
OP udhu'he 'follow (tracks, a trail, a route, a guide)'
OP udhu'he 'cradle board' (means for baby to follow one?)

Os ops^e' 'a ford'
Os o'ps^e 'that which is walked upon:  a bridge'
Os o'ps^e 'passing from one group to another'
Os odho'ps^e 'follow trail of animal'
Os odho'ps^e 'cradle board'

Ks o'phe 'to wish, to grant or get one's way' (?)
Ks niN z^o'phe 'ford, wade'
Ks z^aN a'phe ttaNge 'bridge' (wood on-"phe" big)
Ks ophe' 'path, trail'
Ks ophe' 'follow, as a road or stream'
Ks okkiohe 'join as a partner, as in a game (?)' [h]
Ks oyo'phe 'row a boat, paddle; oarsmen'
Ks oyo'phe 'cradle board'

Qu a'niz^o'he 'ford a stream'
Qu e'=tti oi'he 'follow, go with, attend'

IO n[y]iyu'we 'ford'
IO uwe' 'be moving  in, travel in, go through, go past, pass along in, go
     into, follow'
IO iro'ware 'follow (a trade, a track)'
IO iro'we 'follow (footsteps, a trail) (of a non-relative)'
IO igro'were 'follow (trail, tracks), seaching to find someone' (a
     relative?)
I hoha'wa/e 'cradle board'
O hoku'wa 'cradle board'

It looks like all these general areas, 'ford, wade', 'bridge', 'follow',
'follow by means of', 'join a group', and 'cradle board' can derive froma
root *phe in Dhegiha and Ioway-Otoe.  I haven't checked Winnebago, but
think it's similar.  The *phe root is he in OP and Qu, phe in Os and Ks
(Os phe being written ps^e), and we in IO.

I wonder if the contraction in Dakota o'phe 'join' involves a reflex of
the dative -(g)i- in Dhegiha, i.e., o'phe < *oi'phe?