Greeting

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 18:12:46 UTC 2004

Following Violet's useful contribution on nape etc I wonder if I could
ask what is the Lakota verb 'to greet'.  I only know the word
napekiciyuzapi meaning 'to shake hands'.  Is there another word other
than saying 'hau ekiya 'say hallo to', which i have seen used.  Can
houkiya 'send the voice' have the meaning of 'greet from a distance,
send regards'
Bruce