Hochank variant

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Feb 17 18:37:02 UTC 2004

Or "nope" for 'no'.

bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Rankin, Robert L
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 12:33 PM
To: siouan at lists.colorado.edu
Subject: RE: Hochank variant

Interesting form.  It pretty clearly represents /Hochangara/, "Hochunk"
with its article.  I'd guess the -p may well be the same one we have in
English "Yep" (for 'yes'), where the -p just represents the definitive
closure of the oral cavity.  Just a guess though.  And, no, I don't
think it's a pluralizer.  :-)

Bob