calumet de paix

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 27 18:03:28 UTC 2004

John's take on this seems right. The Northern Iroquoian languages have a
word ske:no? (both vowels nasalized), or similar forms, which means
something like "well-being". It gets applied to good health, the absence of
strife, having plenty of food, etc. Nowadays it's sometimes translated
"peace", but it has a broader meaning than simply the absence of war. And
in fact both peace and war, as we understand them, weren't quite the way
the Iroquois understood things in pre-contact times. Obviously there were
raiding parties and so on, but European-style warfare was something
different. I'm not familiar with a "peace" morpheme occurring in an
Iroquoian word for "pipe".

Wally

--On Friday, February 27, 2004 9:18 AM -0700 Koontz John E