calumet de paix

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 13:27:45 UTC 2004

Interesting about 'war'.  I have seen a phrase ob kicis unpi 'they were
figting them' meaning they were at war with them.  Generally also the
phrase thokkiciyapi 'consider eachother enemies ' is heard, but as in
many societies 'foreigners' or 'strangers' were generall 'enemies'
unless som special arrangement had been made. Or at least that is the
picture that emerges from texts such as those of Buechel, Deloria and
Bushotter.  In arabic too the word qom meaning in one sense 'people'
also means 'enemies', or at least among the bedouin that is so.

Bruce