udhaN' 'to hold' (RE: Word for 'prairie'?)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Feb 1 08:50:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I didn't mention this yesterday because I thought it was a different
> word/interpretation from the 'island' meaning.  Now I wonder though:
> could an island be something 'held' by surrounding water? If we can have
> a land-locked lake in English, how about a (water)-held land in Dhegiha?

I'm now wondering if it's possible that udhaN' in this sense 'to hold' is
simply a homophone (as far as it's root ins concerned):  Os odhiNge, odhaN
(OP-ism?); Ks oyiNge; IO unaNge; WI honaN'k 'help carry or walk'

There is no trace of simple uthe or uhe.

The positional set, recall, is dhaN 'round', the 'vertical, long', he (cf.
khe) 'horizontal, flat'.  We do find *o-k-POS positional verbs.  We have

ugdhaN', ugi'gdhaN 'put (own) in' (put robe on, don robe, dress in robe,
insert head in buffalo pelvis, put meat in mouth, place severed head on
cradle board)

ui'gdhaN 'place something in pot for someone'

z^e'=gdhaN 'put in curved object to roast or put stone on fire'

There are also, for the:

ugdhe' 'put in' (of tail in hole in ice, arrow point in shaft, arrow in
quiver)  (k + the => gdhe)

There doesn't seem to be an ukhe per se.

Possibly related to (k)he, and referring to lying crosswise:

u?aNhe 'put in' (of plume in hair, boat in water, meat in mouth, meat in
bowl, turtle in hot water, body in sling, baby on craddle board in
wrappings, place body of coyote in wagon, corn in crib)

u?aN(he?) 'put wood on fire'

Finally, non-positional, and referring to inserting or placing in an
enclosed area:

uz^i 'put in bag, load musket, load pipe, put corn in soup, put people in
darkness, body in bag, put horse in corral, load boat with goods, put hay
in wagon, '

ugi'z^i 'put one's own in, put in one's own'