i- in Dhegiha i-POSITIONAL=...CAUSE (RE: Word for 'prairie'?)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 3 00:26:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I remember about a year ago there was a discussion about [verb of
> motion]+[another verb] combinations, like "come help" or "go get drunk"
> in English.  I've forgotten the jargon for this.

Serial verb?

> It almost looks like we might have had that sort of situation using
> positionals for the second verb.  Then the result of that becomes a
> descriptor of a condition, which can thus be fed as the lexical concept
> into a causative in these cases.  Thoughts?

Well, I see where you going with the decriptor of a condition - though I
might have said "manner of performing an action, or a characterization of
the results of performing an action."  And any of these forms can be
causativized.  The verbs of placement with i-POSITIONAL-CAUSATIVE are
interesting in being independent.  Most of these forms, causative or
otherwise, remain dependent.  But the i-POSITIONAL forms can also occur
independently, too, I believe.