anuNg - nupa

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 4 00:48:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, "Alfred W. Tüting" wrote:

> Thanks to all for your help!
> I actually was misled by the different orthographies of _anunkasan_
> (after looking at White-Hat's spelling - k-dot - I realize that there
> are no adjacent consonants *k-x).

In case there is any uncertainty on this point, Siouanists, especially U
of Colorado Siouanists, tend to write stop (C) + x for velarized
affrication.  There are a few minimal pairs for Ch vs. Cx in Teton, as I
understand it, and I've noticed that Violet, who has a Colorado-influenced
teaching and linguistic background, is scrupulous about writing Ch or Cx
as appropriate.

You also see Ch ~ Cx ~ Cs^ in writing aspiration in Osage and Kaw, two
other Siouan languages with velarized (~ palatalized velarized)
aspiration.