OP stative verb ablaut?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 9 01:27:15 UTC 2004

I'm sorry about all the typos in the preceding contribution.  I am not the
best typist, and, to top it off, my internet connection is a bit slow, so
that the visual feedback associated with typing is somewhat off.
Especially if I backspace to make a correction!

In regard to experiencer verbs - by this I mean, essentially, a dative
subject verb, like early New English think or seem, as in methinks or
meseemeth.  Or, for the students of Spanish, like olvidarse, as in se me
olvido', or harking back to my ALM days, the full example is "Caramba, se
me olvido' el cuaderno!" "Heck, it forgot itself to me the notebook!" i.e.
"Heck, I forgot my notebook."  Lots of languages have these, of course.
I'm not sure if there are Algonquian analog, but methinks there are
Muskogean ones.

Note that, as far as I know, there is no way to get a first or second
person inflection on ENE think or seem, or on modern Spanish olvidarse
either for that matter.

It's awkward to call these dative subject verbs in Siouan contexts,
because dative is already being used for something rather different, and,
of course, we would then have to refer to dhiNge' as a (non-dative) dative
subject verb and git?e' as a dative dative subject verb.  I feel like I
have to draw a line somewhere, so I've settled on experiencer verb in lieu
of dative subject verb.

Another nice Omaha experiencer verb is giu'daN 'to like', literally 'to be
good for one'.  The example I'll never forget is the first witticism I
ever understood (with a little help), i.e., Ni'NniN giu'daN=att(a)s^aN or
'She likes smoking a bit too much.' Literally, 'It is right up to tobacco
is good for her.'  The locative -a-tta plus s^aN 'completely', usually
contracted to something like =ac^c^AN (voiceless or missing aN) is widely
used for 'very'.  This is not really a joke, but it caused everybody to
chuckle in the context, so the elders explained it to me so I wouldn't
feel left out.  The first gloss is the one they offered.