Moon Phases (Re: OP stative verb ablaut?)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Feb 16 03:52:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> I don't suppose that 'new moon' translates literally into Omaha, but do
> animate-type adjectives really apply to planets, rain, snow, ice and so
> on as 'old' and 'young' apply to plants?

I looked in the Dorsey texts and found various expressions that might be
relevant.  One is miN'=khe t?e 'the moon died, was dead'.  In the contexts
this seems to mean 'when the moon had waned entirely' because there is an
emphasis on it being dark.  It is clearly a time of the lunar month, not
moonset.  Another expression, a time expression, is miN' dhe' he'be 'part
of this moon', which seems in the context to mean 'before the end of the
(lunar) month'.  Another time expression is exemplified by miN'
naNba'=the=di=hi=kki 'moon two=the=in=to_arrive_there=when' or 'in two
months' or 'after/at the end of two months' (JOD 90:655.3, not translated
in the English text!).  MiN' dhe' gu=a'dhis^aN=khe=di 'moon this
yonder=approaching=the=in' (Dorsey 'moon this beyond in-the') 'after this
month'.  Dhis^aN figures in idioms expressions for drawing near to or
going around.  MiN' dhe' s^e'=na 'moon this that=many' (Dorsey 'moon this
enough'; s^e'na is idiomatic for 'enough, complete, finished') 'at the end
of the month' or perhaps 'at the full of the moon'.

In Buechel, I find wit?e 'new moon' (suggesting that the OP expression miN
t?e refers to 'at the new moon') and wimima (mimA' 'round, circular')
'full moon'.  Also wilec^ala (lec^a'la 'lately, a little while ago')
'crescent moon'.

JEK