Active & stative verbs in biclausal sentences.

Robert VanValin vanvalin at buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 16 17:41:15 UTC 2004

In my book 'Syntax' with R. LaPolla (CUP, 1997), I have a homework
problem in the grammatical relations chapter (pp. 311-13) using data I
collected back when I was working on my dissertation.  It includes data
on the issues you raise.

> Would the sentence, without any noun or pronoun mentioned for X, mean
> "the boy chased the deer and he (the boy) was very tired" OR would it
> mean "The boy chased the deer and he (the deer) was very tired."?  Or
> would it simply remain ambiguous?  How do speakers treat this?

If the conjunction is 'na', then only 'the boy' can be interpreted as
the one who is tired; when the conjunction is 'cha', then it's possible
to interpret 'the deer' as the one who is tired.  The different
interpretations seem to be a function of the different conjunctions.

Van

***********
Robert D. Van Valin, Jr.
Professor & Chair