Historical questions

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri Jan 2 15:31:06 UTC 2004

There is more somewhere.  I recall John and I puzzling over several names.  I
think one turned out to be "Inspires Fear" (the common MVS name), but there were
several other names.  I thought it was in L&C names we were asked to do for the
fellow who was doing the new edition, but it could have been something else.  I
saw some in print somewhere too and immediately xeroxed a copy for myself.  It's
at the office and I'll have to find it.

It's clear the language was very similar to Otoe though, since the remnant of
the tribe joined the Otoes and the old reservation in Oklahoma along with the
name of the tribe is "Otoe-Missouri" today.  They spoke one language, and I
think they are generally aware which families are Otoe and which are
historically Missouria.  Jimm could clarify this I'm sure.

Bob