animate wa-

Wablenica wablenica at mail.ru
Sat Jan 3 11:30:20 UTC 2004

Hello John,

KJE> On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
>> What I was trying to suggest here that probably didn't come through in
>> what I actually wrote is that WICHA is now "productive" with animate
>> verbs like 'kill' and WA is non-productive and fossilized in the derived
>> nominals.  Sorry if I didn't quite make that clear.  Bob

KJE> That pretty well sums up my feelings, but with the caveat that wic^ha
KJE> looks like it has been productive since at least the middle 1800s with
KJE> kte.  I picked out kte as a sample stem for simplicity's sake; things
KJE> might look different with a wider variety of verbs.  It looks like wa is
KJE> not productive in animate references today, but it seems reasonable to
KJE> suppose that there may have been a time when both wic^ha and wa were
KJE> productive, with some difference in meaning, or some difference in social
KJE> or geographic distribution.

I would like you to explain me one thing: Buechel has about 60
derivatives with wicha'- prefixed, and 30 entries with wicha- infixed,
almost _all_ of them are nouns. At the same time there are 2600 words
starting with wa-, 1600 of them are verbs. So how can we talk about
wicha- being productive with animate verbs, if we have only a couple
or two of them, thiwichakte and wichak'u?

Talking about "animate wa-", let's consider some sample of wa- verbs,
say, wa-a- subset. These have a great deal of
detransitivized verbs with animate or at least not exclusively
inanimate objects implied (one third of 60 wa-a- verbs).
I doubt that there is a considerable discrimination
toward verbs with animate PAT for taking a wa- plug.

Below I add two lists, with wicha- and wa-a- words.
Talking about wicha- we should consider also the functions of wicha-
as nominalizer with the meaning of "human" (not only with body parts).
I excluded the body parts from the wicha- list (as well as derivatives
of wichasha and wichaxpi), but kept the derivatives of wicha- male,
just for case.

Best wishes,
Constantine Chmielnicki

1. Wicha- prefixed.

wicha'akih^?aN  Starving, famine
wicha'atkuku    a father, their father
wicha'bapi      Blame
wicha'caNcaN    The ague
wicha'chepa     Human fatness, obesity
wicha'chepahala a certain high but not wide mountain
wicha'cheya     Weeping, crying
wicha'chiNca    Children, posterity, offspring,
wicha'cokuN     Threatening, intending evil
wicha'chuwita   The sense of cold experienced by human beings, the feeling of coldness
wicha'glata     the women who follow the men in singing at the war dance or other like dances
wicha'gnakapi   Dead bodies laid on top of the ground or scaffolds; the scaffold on which a dead person is placed
wicha'gnas^ka   gooseberries
wicha'gnaye     a person who deceives; deception
wicha'g^aNg^aN  Not crowded a sprinkling of people
wicha'hooyu'spa a voice or sound record; a sound recorder
wicha'huNkake   Ancestors
wicha'huNku     a mother, mothers wica'h^aNh^aN
wicha'h^aNh^aN  the smallpox
wicha'h^api     bodies interred, graves, tombs
wicha'h^api ogna'ke     a coffin
wicha'h^ca      an old man; a father-in-law
wicha'h^muNg^e s?a      [R.: a magician]
wicha'h^uNwiN   Putrifaction
wicha'h^wa      Drowsiness
wicha'z^ipa     a wasp
wicha'kahiyayA  to carry round to them, to sing to them
wicha'kahuN'huNzapi     a cradle
wicha'kah^apa   a driver, one who drives
wicha'kicas^la  a barber
wicha'kicilowaN to wail or sing for, as for those who have gone on the warpath etc.
wicha'kichopi   Calling, invitation
wicha'kig^epi   [R.: quarreling]
wicha'kini      Resurrection
wicha'khipi     Robbery
wicha'ksapa     Wisdom
wicha'kte s?a   One who kills
wicha'ktepi     Killing
wicha'k?upi     Giving
wicha'luzahe    Swiftness
wicha'naks^ecapi        The cholera
wicha'naNka     Tremor
wicha'ni        they live; life; prosperity; used of many, as wiconi is of one
wicha'oh^?aNkho dexterity.
wicha'phehiNkag^api     False hair, a wig
wicha'po        a swelling
wicha'sote      a general dying, the decease of many
wicha's^a       Man, a man, mankind
wicha'takunis^ni        Destruction
wicha'taNkag^api        a tent with certain figures representing ribs and hearts, seemingly, painted somewhat horizontally around on the outer surface of the tipi
wicha'thaNkala  The gull; a bird that is white, breast blackish, legs short, bill short and not broad like that of pigeons; it lives near lakes, and it flies always over the water
wicha'thaNs^na  a single man
wicha'thoka     a male captive
wicha'thokeca   Differences; things different
wicha'thuthe    Roughness, as of the hands, but not chapping, which is: wichayuh^'i
wicha't?A       The dead
wicha'witkowiNla        [R.: a man who takes many women in succession, but does not keep any of them long
wicha'wiwazica  a widower
wicha'woh^a     a son-in-law, my son-inlaw
a man who lives with his relatives, lit. a buried man, or one who being attracted to a family stays on with them
wicha'woh^a thatha'h^ca a small-sized nig^e saNla, antilope
wicha'woh^ayA   to take or have for a son-in-law
wicha'wota      a feast or banquet
wicha'ya        Manly
wicha'yaz^ipa   a bee, bees
wicha'yaz^ipa thachaN'haNpi     Honey
wicha'yasupi    Condemnation; pronouncing sentence
wicha'yas^?iNyaNyaN s?e In sudden surprise, esp. in seeing something never before seen
wicha'yataNpi   Praise, compliments
wicha'yazaN     a being sick, a sickness
wicha'yuhe      a master
wicha'yuh^?i    Chapping, as of the hands
wicha'yuskapi   Purgatory
wicha'yuwah^panica      Making poor
wicha'yuwiNtapi Honoring, as the Dakotas do at feasts, calling the host by some signifying relationship or title of friendship, or the gesture of stroking in or before the face in token of respect or friendly greeting and saying; Hai'ye, haiye

2. Wicha- as an infix.

awi'chas^?a     Shouting
awi'chayaspuya  The itch, itching
aze'wichahiNs^ma        a certain black caterpillar found in woods
huwi'chayuthipa a little piece of meat that is found between the muscles below the knees of a buffalo
is^ta'wichaniyaN        an epidemic of sore eyes[R.: sore eyes
is^ta'wichaniyaNpi wi   The month of March
is^ta'wichayazaN wi     the moon in which sore eyes prevail; a moon answering generally to the month of March
nuN'h^ wicha'h^loke s?e With ears opened
ola'kholwichaye s^ni    Not caring for relatives, without natural affection
o'wichak?ola hu Western virgin's bower, traveller's joy, the old man's board. Clematis ligustici folia The crowfoot family
owi'chawapi     a list, as of names
owo'wichak?u    an issue station
phez^i' iwi'chakhoyaka  Dark-green bulrush. Scirpus atrovirens.
sipha'wichayaksa        a certain black beetle that snaps. When people have pain in the tips of the toes, they ^se this word to denote it, assuming that this beetle has bitten them
thawo'hiyaye wicha'wote The Paschal Lamb
thewi'chamni    Sweating
thi'wichakte    a murderer; to commit murder
thiwi'chaktepi  Murder
wauN'spewichakhiye      an apostle, disciple
wawi'chak?u     to donate, make a donation
wawi'chak?upi   a gift
wazi'wicha'gnas^ka      Pine berries
wi'wichagnupi   Accusation, blaming
wi'wichaz^ica   Riches
wi'wichayuNg^api        Questions
wol'wichayapi   a banquet, a feast
wo'wichagnaye   Deception
wo'wichakigna   The Holy Spirit, the Comforter. A comforter
wo'wichak?upi   Allowance, distribution, issue; offering

3. Animate wa-.
waa'blezA       to be observing, to be clear-sighted, have the use of one's senses
waa'chaNze      to be angry at others, ill-tempered
waa'chaNzekA    to be ill-tempered
waa'hiNh^payA   to have something fall on one; an idiomatic express.We were lucky onesto be fallen on something
waa'hoyeyA      to reprove, scold. Note: the 1st pers. singl. is not used
waa'iyA to talk about, to slander; to try a case in court
waa'iye s?a     a slanderer
waa'kag^A       to add to, to make a lie on
waa'kag^api     a making on; a blasphemy perhaps
waa'kicag^A     to play jokes on; make sport of
waa'kiktuNz^A   to forget
waa'kiktuNz^api Forgetfulness
waa'khita       to hunt, seek
waa'nag^optaN   to listen to, obey
waa'nakiks^iN   to expose one's self for others, to take the place of one in danger
waa'napta       to stop, forbid people
waa'nataN       to rush on, make an attack
waa'phe to wait, be in waiting
waa'sniyAN      to heal, make well
waa'sniyaN      a healer, a healing
waa's?api       Applause by acclamation,
waa's?iN        to covet, desire what is another's; to stay where others are eating expecting to share
waa'uNyeyA      to scare away, as game by one's coming
waa'yuptA       to answer

--It would be interesting, of course, to learn the difference between
wawiyuNg^api,
wiwichayuNg^api,
wi'yuNg^api, and
wo'(w)iyuNg^e