postpositions

Hu Matthews Hu_Matthews at sil.org
Fri Jan 2 19:48:03 UTC 2004

In Crow postpositions is (are) the rule. I know of no prepositions in Crow.
However, the postpositions are often moved to pre-verb position and
pronounced as if they were part of the verb. Also they are bi-morphemic.

awé     áakeen
earth      on
on the earth

áakeen  consists of  áake (surface,top)  plus  n (at)

Another way of looking at it is to call it a partitive construction. awé
áake (the surface of the earth) plus the postposition  n. However, if áake
is a noun and n is the postposition, then we need to explain why there are
very few nouns that can be suffixed with a postposition.

Hu Matthews