web space for scanned images

Pat Warren warr0120 at umn.edu
Fri Jan 9 11:53:36 UTC 2004

On 7 Jan 2004, are2 at buffalo.edu wrote:
> Pat,
> Hi.  I'm the SSILA (ssila.org) website manager.  What exactly are the
> requirements of the host site you need?  (How big, software, hardware
> etc.)  What kind of interface would you expect and how often would
> things change if ever?
> I  am not in a position to offer the room as I just manage the site
> and the exec committee would have to discuss it, but I'm curious and
> might be able to help somehow.
> Regards,
> Ardis Eschenberg

Hi Ardis,

short answer:

If I could have all the public domain siouan materials in one place, I'd
say clear me a space of 15GB and expect it to suffice for two years. After
that time I hope to have a more formal site established. I don't need any
special server-side software or hardware. It's just images and client-side
processed web pages. I'd need to have access to update it quite often.

long answer:

At this point any level of web support for digitized public domain
resources would be great. My ideal would be an ftp space I could access via
a password, so I could update regularly (or irregularly for that matter).

Size? Whatever can be spared. If someone only wanted to post Iapi Oaye I'd
like at least 2.5GB for the web-navigable version, and possibly another
2.0GB for the archived tif files so anyone can play with those too.

I also have just under another GB of dakota resources in the public domain
that anyone could post, and it would take probably another 1.5GB for the
archived tifs of those.

I don't know if you'd be interested in hosting algonquian materials too,
but I'd say another 5GB currently with another 10GB (both web-navigable and
archived tifs) coming in the next two years (so an ideal total of 30GB (15
without the tifs) for both siouan and algonquian public domain materials).

As far as the future, I expect the digital public domain resources to
increase at about 2GB per year (4GB per year if you include archived tif
files). But my main concern right now is to make the public domain stuff I
do have available.

Software/hardware isn't an issue. Everything is going to be just image
files and web pages. The whole project is stand alone, so no server is
required and it can be run off a cd or offline.

Pat